Animal Control 2021
PLEASE DIRECT ANY COMPLAINTS OR INQUIRIES REGARDING ANIMAL CONTROL TO:
NEW BRUNSWICK SPCA at 1-877-722-1522
JUST FOR YOUR INFORMATION...
REGISTRATION OF DOGS
Every owner of a dog shall before March 31, each year, register that dog(s) with the Animal Control Officer or the Administration Office.
Registration fees are:
- $10.00 spayed or neutered dogs,
- $30.00 unspayed or unneutered dogs,
(A $15.00 penalty will be added to the regular registration fee for tags not bought by March 31st.)
No person shall own or harbour any dog commonly known as a Pit Bull or Bull Terrier
Every owner of a dog(s) over the age of three (3) months, shall have such dog(s) vaccinated against distemper and canine parvovirus and must repeat this process every two (2) years thereafter.
Every owner of a dog(s) over the age of four (4) months, shall have such dog(s) vaccinated against rabies and every three (3) years thereafter.
An official receipt from a licensed veterinarian hospital with the breed, color, name of dog showing on receipt and also the veterinarian hospital tag number is required. NO ONE WILL BE ISSUED A REGISTRATION TAG WITHOUT THE OFFICIAL RECEIPT.
DANGEROUS DOG PROVISIONS
Where there is reason to believe that a dog(s) has bitten, injured or killed a person or another domestic animal without provocation, any peace officer or any agent or employee of the S.P.C.A. shall conduct an investigation and provide a report to the Animal Control Review Committee. The Committee will review the information and declare the dog(s) to be dangerous or not dangerous.
An owner of a dangerous dog shall ensure that:
- at all times when off the owner’s property, the dog shall be muzzled:
- at all times when off the owner’s property, the dog shall be on a leash not longer than one meter and under the control of a responsible person over the age of eighteen;
- when such dog is on the property of the owner and unattended, it shall be either securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and locked pen or structure, suitable to prevent the escape of the dangerous dog and capable of preventing the entry of any person not in control of the dog. Such pen or structure must have minimum dimensions of two meters by four meters and must have secure sides, the sides must be embedded into the ground no less than thirty centimeters deep. The enclosure must also provide protection from the elements for the dog. The pen or structure shall not be within one meter of the property line or within three meters of a neighboring dwelling unit;
- a sign is displayed at each entrance to the property and building in which the dog is kept warning in writing stating “Dangerous Dog on Site”. This sign shall be visible and legible from the nearest road or thoroughfare.
RUNNING AT LARGE
No owner of an animal shall allow the animal to run at large:
- in a public place or restricted area;
- on a private property other than that of the owner of the animal;
- in a forested or wooded area while not in the company or control of the owner of the animal;
STOOP & SCOOP
If an animal defecates on any public or private property other than the property of its owner, the owner shall remove such defecation immediately.
No owner shall permit a dog or dogs of which he or she is the owner to bark or bay for such a period of time or in such a manner as to create a disturbance to neighbours or the neighbourhood.
The owner of a dog commits an offence under by-law no. 41 if:
- he permits his dog to run at large;
- he refuses or neglects to register his dog before the last day of March in each year;
- he refuses or neglects to attach and keep attached a registration tag to the collar of the dog;
- he refuses or neglects to cause his dog to wear a collar at all times;
- he permits his dog to chase or run after pedestrians, motor vehicles, and bicycles;
- he permits his dog to bark incessantly so that annoyance is caused to the public;
- he permits his dog to bite or attempt to bite any person;
- he walks or exercises his dog without a leash;
- he refuses or neglects to vaccinate his dog as required;